Monday, October 25, 2010

Inviting Mara to the Table

Buddhism is rich with storytelling and art.  One prominent figure in Buddhist art and lore is Mara.  Mara is a demon who challenges the Buddha both before and after achieving enlightenment.  He tries by various means to tempt the Buddha to stray from his path.  Mara is often depicted surrounding the continuous cycle of samsara represented in this wheel of life:


All of the stories of Mara that I have heard involve a temptation presented by Mara and a reply by the Buddha indicating that he has recognized Mara's presence.  They often end with, "sad and disappointed Mara vanishes."

Two such stories together encompass some thoughts that I have been playing with for a few weeks now.  In the first story the Buddha is sitting in meditation and Mara comes to tempt the Buddha.  The Buddha recognizes Mara and greets him saying, "I know who you are and you cannot hurt me."  Mara is indignant but the Buddha continues, "You are me!"  Sad and disappointed Mara vanishes.

The second story I heard recently.  Mara comes to the Buddha and accepting defeat kneels at the Buddha's feet and says, "I accept you as the Buddha the one true master and I ask to be your servant.  Tell me what it is that you would like me to do and I will do it.  Tell me how to act and I will be it."  The Buddha replies, "No, no, no, I need you to be exactly as you are."  At the Mara vanishes.

These stories resonate strongly with where I find myself lately.  I believe they reflect the practice of Loving-Kindness towards all beings (self-included) and recognition of the perfection of all things exactly as they are in the present moment.  They remind me of a poem by the Sufi poet Rumi:
The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
    translation by Coleman Barks
I believe that the Buddhist ideal would be to invite Mara into your home (he is you after all), and to do so without the expectation that the darkness has a higher purpose.  To just sit with your self, with your suffering, with the suffering of others, and to see the deep nature that it is exactly what it is supposed to be in that moment.  Paradoxically that seems to put the suffering in context.  It is present, but not overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment